Monday, September 24, 2012

You asked for it...

"Shy" is not an adjective I generally use to describe my friends, but you guys seem to be Shrinking Susans about asking for advice -- even when it's an anonymous request. Come on, people! I'm offering you unfettered access to my brain.

Fortunately, one brave soul stepped up to ask me about pants:

Juliana, 

Is it wrong/unstylish/horrid to wear yoga pants excessively? Even if you're wearing them purely due to a steadfast commitment to comfort? I've recently started a new, much more professional job, so I've stopped wearing them to work, which I admit has been much more difficult than expected. But I really don't see a problem with wearing them while running errands, lounging around the house, hanging with friends or even going to the occasional yoga class... Will I wear them to a bar or a fancy-ish dinner? God yes, and I'm proud of it (you can dress up yoga pants with great boots and kick-ass jewelry - any fool knows that). So lay the truth on me sister... Am I freakish?

Anonymous,

You are asking a girl who showers and heads straight to work with wet hair every morning; I am all about shirking my womanly duties to look spring fresh, so my first instinct is to say you should not be shunned for wanting your butt hugged 24/7.

However! I will perform the blowdry song-and-dance on special occasions, and it sounds like you aren't giving any ground in that arena. Dub me a fool if you like, but I pair my kick-ass jewelry with a similarly kick-ass outfit when the situation calls for fancy; anything less would be uncivilized (plus, "dress" code? Not a coincidence). Sounds like you need to Step it Up 2: Da Streets.

This advice has been brought to you by the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, who remind you to love your sisters, love yourself, and mail your favorite item of clothing around the globe every two weeks. What could go wrong? 

Heads up, gentle readers: We are about two weeks away from the end of the Write-A-Thon! Have you gotten your donation in yet? Remember, you can still sign up to get a handwritten letter or chip in for Part Two of my online dating chronicles -- once that cute little money thermometer hits $150, I will crank that sucker out. Keep in mind that your donation goes toward helping 826 Boston inspire kids to become writers, and also keeps me from the bottom of the participant list (right now I'm 23 out of 39 -- we can do better).

In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for my recap of Revolution episode #2 tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment