Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Part One: Old-School

Oops. Guess I'm actually supposed to write stuff on this thing, huh?

Blogspot claims I got 75 pageviews on my first post (at least seven of which were probably me making sure the platypus was sized properly), but no one left a comment suggesting writing topics. Guess things are going to be freestyle until one of you gets bossy.

I've harbored a suspicion over the past few months that my mail was disproportionately comprised of charity-related junk (free address stickers, world maps, notepads and assorted change [who the hell mails dimes?!]); to confirm this theory I started putting those kinds of envelope aside. I have SO much nonprofit mail piled up now that I'm tempted to make some kind of collage -- or use my roommate's shredder and rent out a confetti cannon.

I'd write off mail altogether (har har), but there is one glimmer of hope in my cubby. A while ago I signed up for a print subscription wherein famous authors and ones I'd never heard of would send me mail. For $5 I get 3-4 letters a month, addressed "Dear Reader," "Hey, you," "Hello friend," containing any story, joke, sketch or musing the writer wishes to share with a complete stranger.

These letters are the highlight of my morning commute, lunchtimes and rare nights in. I love the wildly different writing styles and perspectives, and reading actual penmanship is a pleasure -- as much as I adore texting and social media, I regret that my excellent handwriting has become vestigial.

To that end, I have a proposal for you:

Donate $10 or more to my Write-a-Thon page, and I'll mail you an honest-to-god letter. I'll even call you by your first name! I'm not sure the donation page shares addresses with me, so drop me a line with your info and I'll mail something out within a week.

Remember: this is for a good cause, and you can sell my letter to TMZ when I'm famous.



1 comment:

  1. I donated! And I promise to write you back... it's been too long since we caught up with each other. ;-) Let me know if you need my new address in Colorado.

    ~April

    ReplyDelete